(Scroll to bottom for church window photo links)
The art glass windows of St. Paul’s Church were designed, crafted and installed by
Russell Heizer, owner and operator of the Associated Art Glass of Columbus, Ohio.
After Mr. Heizer’s death, the company was dissolved and no longer exists.
The history of the windows of St. Paul's Church that is on this website
was taken from a brochure that was prepared by Pastor William J. Rauch
for the re-dedication of the art glass windows on February 17, 1985.
The following is the dedication contained in the brochure:
This booklet is dedicated to the memory of
JOHN W. BUSER
1914 - 1980
John Buser was born in Bracken County, Kentucky on May 11, 1914, the son of John A. Buser and Lissie nee Tollner. He was a life-long Lutheran. John married Nettie nee Poage and for many years they lived in Dayton, Ohio. They were the parents of one child, Anne Buser Hite, and the grandparents of two.
John and his family moved to Newark in 1962, a move necessitated by his work as a metrology technician at the Newark Air Force Station. The Buser's affiliated with St. Paul’s Church in 1967. In 1972, John retired from his position at the Newark Air Force Station and found enjoyment working in his basement workshop and with his garden. He died suddenly on September 3, 1980.
In 1976 John had volunteered to serve as the chairperson of our congregational Property Committee. He was extremely diligent in this role, coming to the church almost every day to oversee the maintenance of the building. He is the person who discovered the deterioration of the flat roof over the education building and arranged for its repair. He initiated many other property projects as well, and at the time of his death his dream was the installation of storm windows to protect the church’s art glass windows. Consequently, memorial monies given to honor him were designated for this project. On July 17, 1984 the congregation voted to pursue this project by signing a contract with the Franklin Art Glass Studio of Columbus, Ohio. The $15,800 needed for the project was raised in record time. In addition to the John Buser memorial gifts, we received many other memorials and direct contributions so that all the money was on hand by October 7, 1984. The work was completed in December of 1984.
**TO VIEW THE CHURCH WINDOW HISTORY CLICK ON A PICTURE BELOW.
A LARGER VERSION OF THE PICTURE WILL COME UP AND THEN CLICK ON
"GO TO LINK" AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PHOTO.
THERE ARE MULTIPLE PAGES OF EXPLANATIONS AND PHOTOS CONTAINED WITHIN EACH LINK.**